Here is another tip on fixing errors in computer hard drive. This time the Check Disk utility is used to repair corrupt flash drives and SD cards. It can be accessed in the Properties of a connected hard drive. For hard drive recovery, you also use Check Disk or chkdsk using the command line.
- To start the corrupted hard disk repair process, open Command Prompt in Admin mode (Right-click Start button and click Command Prompt (Admin)).
- Type the following command to start the error checking and fixing process for your internal or external drive:chkdsk C: /F where C is the drive letter.
- You can add more options to the command to make the scan process more rigorous.
- chkdsk C: /F /X /R where /X If required, it forces the volume to dismount before the scan. /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable data. Press Enter. Press Y if the system asks you for a restart (in the case of internal drive).
- Wait till the Check Disk utility repairs your hard drive for errors.
Chkdsk might not be a fool-proof solution but it works in many cases and might help you repair your external or internal HDD without formatting. If it fails, then you can consider the option of formatting your drive by visiting Windows Explorer.